The onslaught of fatigue, inflammation, and a sore throat may seem like mild symptoms of a common cold, but when presented as the Epstein Barr virus, these symptoms can be severe enough to keep you in bed for weeks.
Epstein Barr virus has affected up to 95% of Americans. The virus is the main cause of Mononucleosis or Mono, otherwise known as the kissing disease since it is commonly spread through saliva and other bodily fluids. If the virus does develop into Mono, noticeable symptoms typically last from 2 to 4 weeks but lingers in the body weeks after the symptoms subside, thus making Mono extremely contagious.
Mono is not just prolonged fatigue, but as a virus attacking the body, you are virtually wiped out. It promotes severe inflammation targeting the lymph glands thus causing the painful throat. Other symptoms include, swollen tonsils, headache, fever, rash, and body aches.
Once Mono is active the available treatments will only address the symptoms, such as prescribing anti-inflammatories like corticosteroids or acetaminophen for the headaches. The best treatment that will potentially shorten the length of the present symptoms involves getting plenty of rest, drinking lots of water and taking herbal supplements to help boost immunity. However, if caught at the first stage as the Epstein Barr virus, supplements and other whole foods provide components that will stunt the virus’s progress from becoming the debilitating Mono virus.
- Astragalus Root – Contains natural antiviral components of saponins, flavonoids and polysaccharides.
- Echinacea – A 3-in-1 immune boosting supplement. Echinacea stimulates the immune system while providing antiviral components in addition to reducing inflammation, correlating with sore throat, headaches and body pains.
- Raw Garlic- An antimicrobial and antiviral supplement. One clove of garlic everyday helps to cleanse the body of impurities.
- Probiotics – A staple for a healthy gut that ripples out into every facet of the body. Probiotics help sustain overall strength of the immune system and has been found to possess antiviral properties.
- Licorice Root – Helps to sooth the throat and reducing coughing, while boosting the immune system.
- B Vitamins – B vitamins are not necessarily antiviral but they naturally increase energy and improve mood and focus while the body heals.
Supplements like these can help ease the pain and give your immune system a boost. Not only do they help to accelerate the recovery process, a regular dose can help prevent the virus from relapsing.
How to Detect the Virus
While Epstein Barr has already affected most Americans thus creating an immunity, the virus still lies dormant within the body and can reactivate if the immune system is weakened. The Epstein Barr virus can be difficult to target as it presents itself as an ordinary sickness. Having a blood test done will detect the specific antibodies that are present, that are targeting the virus.
Additional Help Available
If you have been diagnosed with Epstein Barr virus, a proper diet tailored to stimulate the immune system may be the key to lessen the severity of the symptoms. Forum Health Clarkston offers full health-assessments to provide the correct combination of supplements and foods to give your immune system the strength it needs to overcome this virus and to prevent future occurrences.
Forum Health Clarkston
7300 Dixie Hwy, Suite 500, Clarkston, MI 48346
Axe, Josh (2017) Recognize Mono Symptoms + 12 Natural Treatments. Retrieved from: https://draxe.com/mono-symptoms/
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2016) About Epstein Barr Virus. Retrieved from: https://www.cdc.gov/epstein-barr/about-ebv.html
Stoppler, M.D., Melissa Conrad The Broad Spectrum of EBV Disease. Retrieved from: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=89105